Friday, February 28, 2014

Finding Your Style

Finding your own interior design style can be extremely difficult, especially since you can like more than one style. Mine even fluctuates depending on what is trending, or what I can afford, or what my needs are....the list goes on. So, to tackle this monumental task, there are a series of questions you need to ask yourself.


Do I like darker or lighter colors?


            
          Darker/Moodier Colors


Lighter/Airier Colors


Am I more partial to ornate furniture (traditional) or clean-lined furniture (modern)?


            
Traditional

Modern

Transitional
(Mix between modern and traditional)

Do I favor metal or wood?


                                       

Do I enjoy vintage or rustic (or maybe both)?

                                      


Do I prefer bright colors or muted colors?


                



Reminder - keeping your big furniture pieces neutral will often save you in the long run, especially if you're like me and your style changes often.

What is my favorite color?



If you can't really pick one, look at all of your clothes in your closet. Are there more items of one color or two colors?
(I wish!)

Would I rather have minimal decoration, or a large volume of accessories/furniture?


 


Online quizzes are often free, easy to find, and can be a fantastic tool when determining your style. Some are more accurate than others, so take a lot of them and compare results. Option 1Option 2Option 3

If you have access to HGTV, shows like "Secrets From a Stylist" are GREAT to help you find your style. The host, Emily Henderson, buys four or five of the same item in different colors or styles and asks the homeowners which they like best. She then tabulates the results and comes up with a few adjectives to describe their style. I think that would be a fun way to find your style. (I would do this at a home decor store, instead of buying all of those items. This is CHEAP Chic after all.) Believe it or not, Ross is actually my favorite discount home goods store. Fair warning, go prepared to spend some time because it can take a while to sift through all the crap. Your patience will often be rewarded with different styles and some pretty amazing deals. Other good options are Home Goods, Garden Ridge, Hobby Lobby, or even Target.

Don't forget to include your significant other! They live in this space too, and learning more about their style may help you discover your own. One of my favorite dates I went on with my husband before we were married was to Macy's department store. We went upstairs to the furniture section and just pointed out pieces we liked. Luckily, our styles weren't too dissimilar. I highly recommend doing this. It was a fun, free date where we bonded and learned more about each other.

Most importantly, keep in mind that you aren't just one style and that this is a process. Be bold with a few small accessories and then work your way up.

My current style is Casual-Transitional with Bright Colors. Post what you've discovered in the comments below!

**Don't forget to like me on Facebook, Twitter-@cheapchicincGoogle+, and Tumblr!**

No comments:

Post a Comment